There was once a Nawab (royal family member) who really loved to have kababs, but as age caught up with him, he lost his teeth and was unable to enjoy the kababs. He apparently setup a contest that whoever created the softest and most succulent kababs would enjoy royal patronage henceforth.
The secret recipe was created by Haji Murad Ali, who apparently had only one hand. In India, a person with a leg disability is called Langdey, while a person with a hand disability is called Tunday, hence the name Tunday Kabab. The secret recipe apparently has 160 spices (who knew there were 160 spices out there) including Sandalwood. The recipe is a family secret and is passed down to the generations by the ladies of the house.
When I visited Lucknow in 2016, I requested TUNDAY KEBABI to allow me into their kitchen.After requesting a lot,and showing my culinary skills,they allowed me.
But they didnot allow any photography,videography or recorder.So I had to remember all the ingredients and made the awsmm authentic TUNDAY KEBAB MASALA.
INGREDIENTS – 1.5 kg boneless mutton,salt to taste,4 tbsp raw papaya paste,50 gm SAYAN’S SECRET TUNDAY KEBAB MASALA (rs. 200/50 gm, call/whatsapp 7044267294),2 tbsp ginger garlic paste,few drop kewra water,2 cup brown onions,1 cup roasted gram flour ,1 cup ghee,1/2 cup oil,4 teasp rose water,2 tbsp red chilli powder.
1. Make a fine paste of mutton in mixer.
2. Marinate the mutton paste with all ingredients except oil and ghee.Keep this aside for min. 3 hrs.
3. Heat a piece of charcoal on direct flame.
4. Transfer the marination on a plate.Place a small bowl in the middle of the mutton mixture and put the hot charcoal in it.Pour some ghee over the hot charcoal and cover immediately.
5. Heat a non stick tawa/lagan ,drizzle remaining ghee and oil.
6. Divide the marinated mutton mixture into equal small portions,place on hot tawa,cook till golden and crisp from both sides.
7. Serve with laccha paratha or sheermal.
THANK YOU……………..HAPPY COOKING…………………