500 grams tandoori chicken, boneless or with bone
3 cups cooked extraa long basmati rice
3 tablespoons oil
¼ cup butter
3 green chillies, slit
1 inch ginger juliened
1 blade mace
5 green cardamoms
3 medium onions, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
3 cups fresh tomato puree
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoons garam masala powder
1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons fresh cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup browned onions
3-4 tablespoons ghee
2 teaspoons rose water
yellow food colour mixed in water
1. Heat oil and butter in a non-stick pan. Add green chillies and some of the ginger, mix and sauté for 30 seconds.
2. Add mace and cardamoms, mix and sauté for a minute. Add onions, mix and sauté till golden.
3. Add ginger-garlic paste, mix and sauté for a minute. Add tomato puree and mix well.
4. Add chilli powder, mix, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, dried fenugreek leaves and salt, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Strain the mixture in another pan, put on heat and stir. Add chicken pieces and mix well. Add cream and sugar and mix well.
6. Spread half the rice, top with some ginger, remaining garam masala powder and half the browned onions. Spread the remaining rice, sprinkle yellow food colour, remaining ginger, remaining browned onions. Drizzle ghee and rose water, cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
7. Serve hot.